About Me

My photo
We have embarked on a life-long journey to become a family. In June 2013, we have brought home two beautiful babies. Our family is now complete and our marriage formally recognized by state and federal laws.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

earthquakes, meltdown, and more

It has been weeks since we arrived in Delhi. A lot has happened around the world. NZ passed marriage equality bill (see amazing vid), we felt the earthquake in New Delhi (although the epicenter was in the Pakistan border), Boston was terrorised (and finally healing from it), and our twins had their first meltdown a few days ago.

We opted not to hire a nurse helper as we wanted to bond with the babies. Yes, it's not easy for two guys with two premature twins, but so far we are managing. We are doing 12-hr shifts -- day for me, night for my partner. We get at least 7 hrs sleep per day doing this. The routine is broken ocassionally (e.g. visit to the embassy, doctor's appointments, and food shopping), which also disrupts our sleep, but it's not too bad overall. I cook dinner that lasts for a couple of nights, and for variety, we order take-away once in a while. The only boring part is lunch -- eating cereals because it is easy and quick, in order to do a bit of work and transition to our shift.

The twins are slowly growing and gaining weight. Our girl is about 5.5 lbs and our boy is about 4.5 lbs. They have a very different personality but somewhat similar temperament when it comes to feeding time. I want my milk now!!! From my previous post about our desperate hunt for pre-NAN, we were able to get 9 cans from a small pharmacy in R-Block market (the R-Block market is basically a strip of 5 stores and not like the huge M-Block market). We will start switching our girl to Organics brand next week.
Pensive girl? Or just being cute?

I'm the cute boy! Please don't disturb me.
Anyway, we met several straight couples from various countries. Two couples had triplets by having two surrogates (F&L, T&R), and the others had twins like us (D&D from Chicago, our dear friends Johan and Linda). T&R are from California and were very kind to have their preemie diapers swapped for our newborn diapers. We are glad to have met these lovely people and their babies, and very grateful for their kindness. We share a common bond through surrogacy, so it is quite uplifting to meet everyone here in New Delhi.






9 comments:

  1. So adorable! Nice to see they are not being dressed gender traditionally--or is that just from daddy's fatigue? :) Hope all is going well and you're able to be back home soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. Yes, I'm against gender stereotypes. Fatigue also plays some part. :)

      We are staying a bit longer so that they are both mature enough to travel.

      Delete
  2. Oohing and aahing here in Texas over your little ones. They are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the birth of your twins :-) How awesome! I came across your post as we are pregnant in India as well. I note you met two couples that had triplets. I would really like to speak wth you or perhaps your friends as we are in a similar situation & wild greatly appreciate if you cold email me at monnique@bigpond.com so that I can reply in private as I can't see any contact info and my apologies, I don't know too much about blogs.

    Thank you very much.

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting again. Your babies are beautiful and clearly growing and well loved. Hoping for Supreme Court answer that supports love, miracles and humanity. Shall be watching for more posts, your miracles are so good for the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Our family appreciate it very much. Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Hi guys ! Very happy for you ! We had the same problem about pre-nan and Dr Gupta told us to use Lactodex. In this time, we found pre-nan in Saket Market, not so far than Citiwalk.
    Your twins are so cute !! Two little angels in your life, congratulations !
    With my husband we started to manage by ourslef also. Day together, first part pf night for me until 2-3 am and the rest of the night for my husband. But after one week, we decided to call a nurse for the night. I think at first it is ok but after 1month when babies begin to open the eyes and want long hugh time like our little elisabeht, it was more difficult. But in fact, we are very happy about this difficulties ;-)
    I really dont speak english very well (I can write and read) and I dont understand very much. So it is difficult to communicate with me but if any IP orgenize a meeting, I can come to Svelte. I am not so far.
    Hace fun with your "merveilles" ;-)
    Je vous embrasse,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Sarah
          Merci et félicitations à vous aussi! Merci à Google translate, je peux communiquer en français. LOL.
          Il est bon que vous avez trouvé pré-NAN. Nous restons près du marché de M-Block, et l'autre jour, je suis allé à Dezine enfants et ils ont maintenant pré-NAN, là aussi. Je suppose que le propriétaire a décidé de s'approvisionner comme il a dit qu'il a été voir beaucoup d'étrangers l'achat d'articles pour bébés.
          Je sais seulement d'un couple séjournant à Svelte (F & L) qui sont des triplets de soins infirmiers. Je suis sûr que si qu'il ya d'autres personnes séjournant dans l'hôtel. Deux couples que je connais sont hébergés dans Kailash Colony. C'est vraiment une expérience différente vivre dans un appartement contre un hôtel occidental. Mon partenaire est heureux il est arrivé à l'expérience (j'ai vécu dans plusieurs pays de ma vie, j'ai donc beaucoup plus d'expérience que lui).
           Quoi qu'il en soit, nous avons un autre rendez-vous à l'hôpital Eden dans deux semaines pour la vaccination, l'espoir de vous et d'autres couples y rencontrer.


      Hello Sarah
      Thank you, and congratulations to you, too! Thanks to Google translate, I can communicate in French. LOL.
      It's good that you found pre-NAN. We are staying near M-Block market, and just the other day I went to Dezine Kids and they now have pre-NAN there, too. I guess the owner decided to stock up since he said he's been seeing a lot of foreigners shopping for baby items.
      I only know of a couple staying at Svelte (F&L) who are nursing triplets. I'm sure though that there are other people staying in the hotel. Two couples I know are staying in Kailash Colony. It really is a different experience living in an apartment versus a Western hotel. My partner is glad he got to experience it (I have lived in several countries in my lifetime, so I have far more experience than him).
      Anyway, we have another Eden hospital appointment in two weeks for vaccination, hope to meet you and other couples there.

      Delete